Saturday, January 8, 2011

....and it continues

Well, I figured it was time to write more of my story. It is very slowly coming together. If you haven't read the first few posts about this topic, you have some catching up to do (otherwise it won't make sense). So, I've kindly posted links to the first few posts :-)

In the beginning

First step to true love

Stories from foster care

Step 1 meet parents

So, I left off telling you about the roller coaster my parents went through to get us. After the final decision was made that we would be theirs, it was time for us to be a family!

September 11, 1992 - the day we moved in. I had just started 1st grade and Reilly was 2 & 1/2. My parents had their hands full to say the least. My mom took 8 weeks (I think) of maternity leave and was very ready to go back to get a break from us. Can you imagine getting a 6 year old and a 2 1/2 year old at once? I have a 9 month old and she enough to handle right now. Amazing parents I have. Simply amazing.

So there was a period of time before the adoption was legal. We had to go before a judge, get our names legally changed, and literally we were "reborn". I think it was 6 months later, but I could totally be wrong. I'm sure my dad will correct me if I am. That day came. I forgot to mention that in my dad's dream we were wearing red plaid dresses with scottie dogs on them. So, guess what we were wearing...you guessed it. Red plaid dresses with scottie dogs. We stood before the judge as my parents went through all the legal stuff until we were FINALLY theirs!


And, I thought it was hard to wait 9 months for my princess. At least they got two out of the deal :-)

We became the Harrison family. 4 of us. I had parents again. I had stability.

...stay tuned.

No comments: